Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Diabetes: It's in your genes

That's the message of the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Diabetes: An Innovative Program to Prevent, Treat, and Beat This Controllable Disease. A publisher recently sent it to me and although I don't have diabetes, I have had family members who do.

The first chapter lays out how diabetes is "in your genes." Dr. Steven Joyal, the author of the book, states that:

... although you can't change your genes, you can change the degree of expression of your genes. This means that you can impact to what degree certain genes involved in blood sugar metabolism are turned on or off. In fact, you can easily and conveniently modify the expression of your genetic code through lifestyle modifications, including food choices, exercise, stress management, and the use of botanicals, nutraceuticals, and medications (if needed).


The rest of the book goes on to describe diet, exercise, natural supplements, pharmacologic approaches and lifestyle concerns of living with diabetes. Overall, it looks like a pretty good resource to go to if you or a family member has diabetes.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Chuck Pelto said...

TO: Dr. Helen, et al.
RE: I....

Diabetes: It's in your genes -- Dr. Helen

....can attest to that. As well as to gout. Both, birthday gifts from my Father, God rest his soul.

As I've mentioned before, I treat acute attacks of gout with homeopathics. SUCCESSFULLY, as soon as I can identify additional symptoms.

As for the diabetes, I've found that ramping up my workouts to 1 hour a day has a significant impact on it. I also add cinnamon to my morning coffee and have two glasses of graviola tea, one before breakfast and one before supper.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[God made the Earth and everything therein for Man.]

9:56 AM, September 07, 2010  
Blogger Chuck Pelto said...

TO: L
RE: Heh

Nutraceuticals? People still take those seriously?
-- L

You don't like em? Sounds like a 'personal problem'.

Regards,

Chuck(le)
[God made the Earth and everything therein....]

6:00 PM, September 07, 2010  
Blogger Zorro said...

TO: All
RE: Sugar & Spice

I'm immune from diabetes, because I'm so sweet and lovely that I scare sugar away!

Three little maids from school are we...

Regards,

Chuck(le)
PS: I have a size 32 taffeta camisole, autographed by Liberace, that's going on eBay if anyone's interested.

9:01 PM, September 07, 2010  
Blogger The Dude said...

I recently went to Duke and got paid to have them analyze my DNA for susceptibility to diabetes. Good news, I am not, at least according to currently known markers.

7:42 PM, September 08, 2010  
Blogger ed hardy chothes said...

I am just trying out your new predictions platform.
This is interesting for Collective intelligence purposes and well done.
Could I have more background information on that project? Having worked at Yahoo!
Answers, Flickr and Community products out of Canada, I like to discover interesting projects like this. replica handbags

8:44 PM, September 09, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

According to the VA, Diabetes is caused by Agent Orange exposure. So, if you have it, put in your claim. They have already agreed to pay to an air force guy who claims (but can't prove) he was exposed to AO when he visted a PX on a Vietnam Air base. He wasn't stationed there, just passing through, so there is no evidence that he was ever there.

2:55 PM, September 10, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home