Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Tea parties, "going Galt" and Atlas Shrugged

The Atlas Society has an interesting post on "going Galt":

“Tea parties.” “Going Galt.” You’ve probably seen a growing number of references to these in the media, online, and on signs at rallies reacting to new government spending and controls.

The Boston Tea Party was a rebellion against excessive government. Today’s “tea parties” say “no” to spending without limit and the government takeover of our lives.

“Going Galt!” If you’ve read Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged,you appreciate the parallels between today’s disintegrating world and the events depicted in that prophetic novel. Atlas Shrugged is the story ofhow productive people went on strike, withdrawing their services in protest against a society that damned them for being productive and expropriated the fruits of their labor.

The ideas in Atlas Shrugged can be powerful moral weapons to roll back the forces of repression and irrationality. The Atlas Society is your premier source for information on those ideas. We’ve compiled this page to help you understand the whole “Going Galt” phenomenon.

What is “Going Galt?”

* “Going Galt” doesn’t simply mean getting angry. That would be “Going Postal.” It means having righteous indignation at the injustice of a political system that bails out individuals and institutions for irresponsible behavior and at the expense of those like you who prosper through hard work and personal responsibly.

* “Going Galt” means asking in the face of new taxes and government controls, “Why work at all?” “For whom am I working?” “Am I a slave?”


Read the rest here.

And don't forget that tomorrow is the big Tea Party day. Join one in your area. Glenn and I will be at the Knoxville event covering it for PJTV.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger DADvocate said...

I'll be at the Cincinnati Tea Party tomorrow.

I'm looking for small ways to go Gault. I joined a credit union to get away from banks receiving bailouts. In general I'm doing as little business with companies receiving bailouts as possible.

But, since I don't make a great deal of money, protesting, writing my senators and congresswoman and otherwise spreading the word are my primary courses of action.

2:37 PM, April 14, 2009  
Blogger Wayne said...

Well, I don't know what you look like, but so will I. I'll probably see you there, even if I won't recognize you. :)

3:33 PM, April 14, 2009  
Blogger ColinLaney said...

Now where was it I read that post on narcissism and victimhood?

9:01 PM, April 14, 2009  
Blogger Joe said...

Taxes are lower, most people are better off and the economy is much healthier than it was in 1974. And that's America--Britain had taxes even higher and was nearly in ruins. So why is Rand suddenly freaking prophetic now? This is a massive joke.

Tell you what. All you idiots who think you're producers, please drop out and don't let the door hit you on the way out. You'll be very surprised how little you are missed. Since many of you aren't actually producers at all, but think you are, we'll probably all be better off.

(The Tea Party idea is intriguing enough, I was going to go to a local event, but it wasn't advertised until the last minute and, well, I actually had some productive work to do to help my company be profitable and to feed my family. That said, mixing the Tea Parties with the Galt shit turns me off to the whole damn clueless thing.)

1:31 AM, April 15, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've purchased the whole package, Joe. On the day you awaken and think for yourself, just think it through enough to go Galt, not postal.

5:34 AM, April 15, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home