Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Podcast with Chris Anderson, Editor in Chief of Wired

Today we interview Chris Anderson, the editor in chief of Wired, about his new book, The Long Tail : Why the Future of Business Is Selling Less of More. He has good news for all of us who have quirky or imaginative wares to sell (books, videos, etc., music)--we may not have a big hit on our hands but there is almost always a niche market for everyone's talents and products. And thanks to the new world of the Internet and technology, products are getting cheaper to make and market. For example, my DVD of Six cost me just $25,000 to produce and it found a home on the Internet as well as colleges and Universities. I never could have done this ten or fifteen years ago. Anderson coined the term "The Long Tail" to describe this phenomenon in which the combined value of modest sellers and quirky titles equals the sells of the top hits. If you want to know more about the future of business, take a listen to the discussion.

You can listen to the podcast here or by subscribing via iTunes. And for those stuck with dialup connections, there's a lo-fi version here. You can also see our podcast archives at GlennandHelenShow.com. Leave any comments and suggestions below.

7 Comments:

Blogger visioneerwindows said...

Yes - this is the true meaning of proper diversity - market diversity......

5:18 PM, July 11, 2006  
Blogger Jay Currie said...

Great interview.

Thanks for that. Way out on the Canadian end of the long tail it is a treat to hear smart people talking...

6:33 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should do video podcasts. With Amanda Congdon gone, I need a hot female videoblogger.

8:48 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent podcast.

I just put in a request for my library buy Chris Anderson's book.

I've been releasing my ambient/electronica music via podcasts since late 2004. 70,000 downloads later, mostly via iTunes, I use the podcasts as a way to help sell my CDs and digital downloads to people across the US, Europe, and Australia.

Practically everybody I know or work with has some sort of side interest that has spilled onto the internet in the past few years. We may not be getting rich, but that isn't necessarily the point. We're being creative, entrepreneurial, and we're having fun.

9:08 PM, July 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous 8:48 PM, don't be silly noone can replace Amanda!!. Helen has her own niche isn't that precisely the point...

7:26 PM, July 12, 2006  
Blogger SFN said...

Once again - thank you very much for an interesting podcast. I'm an example of this kind of trend - I sell artwork online, including on eBay. It's mildly profitable but what I find interesting is how easy it is now to become an international seller - I've sold to 19 countries at this point, and it would be more if I were willing to ignore customs regulations of places like Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

8:23 PM, July 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In "Creative Destruction" Tyler Cowen talks about the developing 'niche' markets around the world over the past century in a fascinating way. Of course, the internet continues to accelerate that process! I find blogs to be the best source of info on what's out there!

3:54 AM, July 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home